I love paneer/cottage cheese recipes and whenever I get urges Palak Paneer recipe is my go-to recipe. Not only it is easy to make but its also very tasty and healthy.
Also I have a special place for Palak Paneer recipe because its one of the initial recipes which made me fell in love in cooking, though love for eating was always there. Foodie Forever!!!
In this article I am going to teach you how I prepare and cook this recipe. But before going into that, there is a lot of debate going on the internet whether you should blench the spinach while making palak paneer recipe or not.
I have tried both and I found out that blanching the spinach makes the recipe more smooth comparing to not blanching the spinach.
Yeah you may lose some of the nutrients and also the colour may get dark if you over-cooked the spinach but hey theres a solution/trick for this problem (more on that below).
Also traditionally spinach is blanched while making palak paneer. If you prefer not blanching the spinach, no problem, you can go for it. It doesn’t hurt (trust me on that!).
So with that out-of-the-way, let begin the recipe.
Palak Paneer Recipe
- 200 gm Palak/Spinach
- 200 gm Paneer/Cottage Cheese
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 Onions
- 2 Green chilies
- 5 inch Ginger
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 10 Cashew
- Salt to taste
- 20 gm Paneer/Cottage cheese For garnishing
- Take a stainless steel pot / Patila, add 3-4 cups water in it and let it boil.
- Add 200 Palak/spinach in it and let it boil for 2 minutes
- Now take out the spinach / Palak and with palta/turner and immediately transfer it into a cold water
- Now take a pan and heat it
- Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil and saute
- Add paneer cubes / cottage cheese cubes in the pan and let it fry for 3 minutes
- Now add 1 tablespoon cumin seeds,ginger, garlic and green chillies in the frying pan and saute
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped onions and a little bit of salt in it and saute
- Then cover the pan with lid for 2 minutes
- Now take out the mixture in a blending jar
- Also add Palak/spinach in the blending jar along with the mixture
- Add cashews in the blending jar as well
- Now blend everything and make puree of it (add a little bit of water if needed)
- Now take a pan again and heat it
- Add cooking oil in pan
- Add the puree in it
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt to taste and saute
- Then add paneer cubes / cottage cheese cubes and saute
- Cook for 2 minutes
- Your tasty and zesty palak paneer recipe is ready.
- Garnish it with grated Paneer/Cottage cheese
- Don't boil spinach for more that 2 minutes. Also immediately transfer the spinach into cold water after blanching/boiling (you can add ice cubes in water as well). This is to maintain green colour of the palak paneer recipe.
- Add garam masala less if you want greener colour.
- Instead of adding 10 cashews in the blending jar while preparing the puree, add 4-5 cashews for super green colour of the recipe.
- You can serve the palak paneer recipe with roti, naan or even with rice or jeer rice.